A Match encourages individuals and organizations to consider and express their true preferences for each other. After registering for a Match, participants submit to the NMP a list of the individuals or positions in which they are interested, ranked in order from most to least preferred. This is called a Rank List.
The preferences of participants, as expressed on their rank lists, determine the placement of individuals into positions at organizations.
Participants submit their rank lists electronically through the NMP’s secure, web-based iMatchSM system. The iMatch system provides Match participants with great flexibility when creating their rank lists. For example, Match participants can:
- use a “search” feature to find the program or applicant they wish to rank;
- reorder entries on a rank list using “drag and drop” functionality;
- cancel recent changes to a rank list;
- delete entries on a rank list without jeopardizing the order of the remaining entries; and
- delete all entries and begin the process again.
The iMatch system provides “real time” access to Match information for participants.
Once a rank list has been saved, it is stored, and certifying the rank list in the iMatch system ensures that the list is included when the matching algorithm is processed.
Rank lists can be created up until the Rank List Deadline for a Match. After the deadline, the NMP prepares the lists for use when the matching algorithm is processed. We encourage you to read about the matching algorithm and to review answers to frequently asked questions for additional information.